Saturday, February 18, 2012

Biking Brea Canyon Road

Date: February 5, 2012

Bike Ride:  Diamond Bar (via Brea Canyon)
Distance: 40.9 miles
Max Speed: 35.9mph

Total Time: 3:10:17
Start Time: 7:30am
End Time: 11:30am

Wow, I have really put off this entry for a while now. However, I will not forget how important this was for me. I remember not being able to sleep the night before because I was so excited. This was my first serious ride (over 35 miles) on my new road bike! I decided to ride this route a second time, because the last time I attempted it, I didn't have enough endurance. This time around, I rode with my friend Jomarie, a fellow biker and friend from my dorms. It was great to have company, especially during the uphill climbs (which Jomarie, by the way, is really really good at).

What I loved most about this particular ride were the descents (down hill riding). Whenever we started riding faster than 30 miles per hour, I started to experience a sense of hyper-vigilance. Downhill riding is a great way of opening up your senses. Well, you don't really have a choice when a split-second of absent-mindedness could cost you your life. But I love it! It gives me my week's supply of adrenaline and it jump starts my system.

We did experience a minor crash though. Jomarie lost control when we were descending somewhere in Brea. What happened was a car came in from a side street to make a right turn, so we had to brake to make sure we wouldn't hit the car.Since Jomarie was behind me, she had to brake harder in order to avoid colliding with my rear wheel and knocking me over (which was very very considerate of her). Jomarie took the crash like a champ and we both rode back to the dorms without problem (despite her bloody hands).

Just as problems are part of life, crashing is part of biking. We just have to learn how to deal with it and to cope after it has happened. Jomarie, you handled that crash very well! Congrats! (and thank you for sparing me from some unpleasant contact with asphalt.)

We made it in time for lunch and enjoyed a nice Chicken Parmesan Salad at the cafeteria. Thanks Jomarie! Hope to go on more rides with you in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment