Friday, March 23, 2012

The Artist is the Greatest Alchemist


Experiencing pain and suffering is what makes us human beings. It is the ultimate equalizer in life. What makes people different, however, is in the way they cope with it. Some people will drink pain away.Others will distract themselves with work. You can cope with pain anyway you want to(the ones I just mentioned seem to be very popular). However, there is another way of coping that, in my opinion, allows us to heal and to simultaneously make the world a brighter place. That is making art. 

Majority of people allow their emotions to enslave them, whereas the artist uses the power of his emotions and channels it through the medium of his choice.

  I believe that everyone is called to be an artist, because art really is the transformation of pain and suffering into beauty. At least, that is what art always has been for me. I remember the pain and confusion I felt during the months right after my parents' divorce. I remember how I would spend hours playing my guitar and how that helped me cope and heal. Music made the pain from the divorce into something beautiful. In fact, in retrospect, I think I wouldn't be a musician today if it weren't for that.

I also believe that everyone is capable of being an Artist, because Art has and endless number of mediums: poetry, painting, dance, theatre. I just happened to have chosen Music. In actuality, art is not limited to these areas. Can you deny the beauty of riding a bike, or of wiping someones tears, or of giving someone a much needed hug? If we accept the definition of art to be the transformation of pain into beauty, then almost anything that helps us heal can be art. In fact, the very essence of living is art: One's greatest masterpiece is one's own life.

You may think argue that much of what I write on this blog tends to be from a naive perspective. I will admit, yes, I am quite naive (this is probably why I can keep my heart open), and I haven't experience as much as many other people have in life, but that is precisely why I try my best to reflect on the experiences that I do have.  I want to make the most out of every single experience that has passed and that is to come, even the painful ones. I want to live life to the fullest. I know it's cliche, but this short statement really embodies what I want to do. This is the reason why I try my best to keep an open heart. This is the reason why I write this blog and why I play music.  Art doesn't give as much to the audience as it gives to the artist. This blog is not so much for the reader's as it is for me a way of keeping myself aware of where I am going.

1 comment:

  1. Insightful, not naive, my friend. I shall have to remember to read your blog more often. I am now keeping one as well.

    ReplyDelete