Date: March 3, 2012
Total distance: 40.6 miles
Total time: 2:42:28
Start time: 7:30 am
End time: 10: 20 am
Max Speed: 44.6 mph (fastest so far)
I woke up at 5:30am. "Too early," I thought, but I couldn't go back to sleep because I was so excited. I was about to join my very first group bike ride. What will the other rider's be like? Will I be able to keep up with them? Will they be welcoming to newbie riders? These thoughts preoccupied my mind to the point that I just had to get up and start preparing to ride out.
I got out of bed at 6am. Break fast consisted of yogurt, bananas and some coffee. I then filled my water bottles and pumped up my tires to 115 PSI. It was cold outside, so I had to wear arm warmers with my jersey and bib. I strapped on my shoes and I was ready to go.
![]() |
| My neon-yellow jersey stands out doesn't it? Need to get me a Team Velocity kit to be in the "cool" group =) |
The ride was going to be 33 miles. I rode an extra 4 miles from my dorms to downtown Fullerton, the ride's starting point. It was really cold (about 48 F). However, I knew that it would warm-up later that day because of the sun. When I got to the start point, there were already about 15 riders chatting. The first people I met there were Denny and Joe. To my relief, these guys are very warm and open to new members. They are also really funny! They refer to themselves as the Waldorf and Statler (from the Muppets) of Team Velocity. I would admit that their sense friendship with one another does resemble that of Waldorf and Statler, but I tell you, Denny and Joe don't need any cane! These guys are fit and healthy! Strong riders!
| Waldorf and Statler from the Muppets |
Denny explained to me how the rides work. He explained that there are three groups: The Recreational group, the intermediate, and the fastest group., each of which ride ate different paces. Denny and Joe ride the Rec group which keeps a pace of about 15-16 mph. "That's not bad," I thought. Little did I know that later in the ride, they would be riding past me up the climbs!
As more and more riders started rolling in, I started to feel a sense of community. These people ride with each other every week. They know each other, and each others family. Every time a new rider would arrive, a new conversation would begin. It was like an episode of Cheers, except instead of drunken friends, these were healthy, athletic professionals. I also began to realize that there was hardly anyone under the age of 40. However, when the ride began, I totally forgot this because these bikers rode so incredibly powerfully! It was tough to keep up! And I'm 19! It is amazing how fit one can be if one maintains a healthy lifestyle.
Throughout the ride, I made lots of new friends. These riders are all professionals and educated people. It was refreshing to talk to them. They shared their experiences and the wisdom. For instance, on the last leg of the ride, I found myself alongside Hung. He has an interesting life. He was born in Vietnam, raised in Germany, studied at McGill University in Montreal, Canada and presently works in California. He is a very friendly guy and experienced rider. He taught many tricks of riding with a group: how to keep your line, how to stop, etc. I also enjoyed talking to him in German! (two Asian guys speaking German on a bike ride is always fun!)
![]() |
| Finished the ride with Hung, Ricardo and Antoine |
![]() |
| Post-ride hanging out with Louis, Denny and Joe |
I am very happy that I have the opportunity to experience this. I plan to ride with Velocity every Saturday morning now! This time of my life really is a sacred time. I doubt I will ever enjoy the same freedom I have now, so I will make it a point to honor this time and really spend it wisely. Thanks Team Velocity for your warmth and openness! I look forward to the next ride!



No comments:
Post a Comment