No, when I say Labels, I'm not referring to the kind you find on your T-shirt or your can of Junk food (Although it is hard not to think of these labels because our consumer-driven world is flooded with them).
By labels, I refer to terms that we use to represent important and complex concepts in our existence. What do I mean exactly? Let me give you a few examples: Morality, Judgement, Beauty, Relationships. If you think about these terms, you should realize that they are usually futile in capturing the full essence of what they represent.
Let's talk about the first term: Morality. I have always used the term Morality to represent the governing force of my life. Recent circumstances, however, have led me to change my perspective in this regard. I no longer find the term Morality appealing. I think using the term Morality can be misleading in the way that "Morality" has much Christian/Religious connotation. Morality implies a judgement of "Right or Wrong" and "Winner or Loser". The term Morality tends to be very exclusive and even intimidating. Why use a term with so much negative baggage to define a way of life? We should live with the goal to be understanding of one another, not judgmental.
"Do not label things or relationships, it only makes matters more complicated. Take everything for what it is. Do not hold it up to expectations that society put into a label."
If there is a term that I would choose to represent our goal in Life, it would be Enlightenment. I am not suggesting that everyone should transcend the weaknesses of humanity and become enlightened beings (everyone becoming a Buddha seems highly unlikely). I am suggesting that we strive to become more aware of our humanity and aware of our capacity to transcend into enlightenment. I know that I am a very very flawed human being. I make mistakes, lots of them. However, when I do err, I simply remember: "I love and I am loved. If people believe in me, then I can believe in myself. Mikko, time to continue your journey." (of course, being a very obsessive person, I struggle getting over initial feelings of defeat and frustration before I get to this point, but I eventually do). I cannot let those mistakes hinder me from moving on, closer to my enlightenment.We all need to strive to become more perceptive human beings, aware of life, its challenges and its joys.
No comments:
Post a Comment